This is an obsolete index of public domain (PD) resources on the Internet. I am no longer maintaining this list due to time constraints.
This index contains pointers to works that are in the public domain.
Public domain doesn't mean "shareware." It isn't a work that is owned by somebody
else, who allows you to use it for free. It isn't software distributed under the "GNU Public
License," or a copyrighted book that the author has put online. Public domain means that
the creator of the work, with no strings attached, has given up all rights to the work. It means that
you may do anything with the work that you want - read it, publish it, put it on CD-ROM,
Public domain doesn't mean a work is owned by no one; it means it is owned by everyone.
- 1995 CIA World Factbook
- Project Gutenberg
- PD Children's Books
- Project Bartleby
- Public Domain Modern English Search
- The Jargon File, AKA The New Hacker's Dictionary
- Online Book Initiative, a huge archive of etexts
- Internet Wiretap, another massive repository of etexts
- Project Libellus, another archive of etexts. In English and Latin
- Lieder and song texts, provides original-language of Lieder by many different composers (such as Schubert, Brahms and Mahler)
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library, Classic Christian books
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare
- Public-Domain Opera Libretti and Other Vocal Texts
- The Public Domain Palindrome Page, lots of palindromes
- Eurodocs, Western European key historical documents
- Project Wittenberg, classic and historic texts written by Lutherans
- Our Family Museum: A Collection of Family History Notes by James Nohl Churchyard
- Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Gallery of Public Domain Fiction
- D. H. Lawrence Poetry Page
- Latin Vulgate Bible
- The Naked Word, eText for the Masses, plain text of several works
- many religious texts and letters
- Letters of Dionysius the Areopagiete
- Angst FAQ
- JIT's Freedom Station Central, US historical documents
- IETF Request For Comments Documents (RFC's), a series of documents covering a broad range of topics, mainly the Internet and the TCP/IP protocol suite.
- InterNet eMail Guide
- A Beginner's Guide to Effective Email
- RefWorld, databases of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Consumer Law brochures, over 100 of them
- NCSA What's New prior to November 1994
- ISO-Latin-1 Character Set
- Brown & Williamson Collection, primarily of scientific studies on the addictive nature of nicotine and other health effects of tobacco smoke
- Report of the IIT Bombay Wildlife Club's Summer Symbiosis '94 held at the Corbett Tiger Reserve
- Linux Information Sheet, provides basic information about the Linux operating system, including an explanation of Linux, a list of features, some requirements, and some resources.
Sofware & source code
- Search shareware.com's archives for "public domain"
- Virtual Creation's CGI Programmers Page, PD CGI tools
- The CCD Public Domain Software Page, UNIX software
- APACHE, a WWW server
- W3C httpd (CERN), another WWW server
- GOOD, a software environment for interactive programming of 3D graphics
- Klm, a Motif scripting tool.
- Vertigo, a flight simulator for the IBM PC
- Numerical software source code
- A Guide to Public Domain Software for High Performance Computing Users
- PD applications distributed by Hypermedia Research Laboratory
- KMS reader, a distributed hypermedia system for supporting collaborative work
- Netfone, a collection of programs which allow users of Sun workstations with audio devices to speak to each other in real-time over a LAN or the Internet.
- Public Domain OCR Software
- Tcl, tool command language, an embeddable scripting language. Web info here
- Tk, a graphical user interface toolkit based on Tcl. Web info here
- Public Domain software at ftp.com
- PD Prolog Library
- List of Interesting Optimization Codes in PD
- PD software written in Oberon-2
- INRIA Videoconferencing System, software to transmit audio and video data over the Internet using a workstation.
- FGFLY, a military flight simulator (alpha release)
- Envorinmental Science/Hydrology software/spreadsheets, from INTERA
- ENVIROMOD, ground water/porous media modeling and environmental software collection
- Prograph, a programming language for Macintosh
- PD Software Developed at Concurrent Engineering Research Center (CERC)
- a 16 bit Windows 3.1 port of the QV libary, VRML parsing library
- MOPS, a powerful PD development system for the Macintosh
- HDF, Hierarchical Data Format. A multi-object file format for the transfer of graphical and numerical data between machines. Related utils in this directory are also PD.
- NCSA Telnet for Macintosh
- NCSA Telnet for PC
- Marko's NextStep applications
- RGBtoHex, converts RGB values into hex triplet
- Software by Qiegang Long
- DEAF, Directory Editor + Archie + FTP
- Gtstat, generates graphs showing WWW server traffic
- UMass Information Navigator, allows Web access to relational databases
- The Friends Screen Saver for Windows
- PSGL, An IRIS GL to Postscript Library
- Internet Config Internet setup software for Macintosh info
- Professor Hank Dietz & students' software systems and hardware designs
- Public Domain Software by P.A.Henning
- TBENCH, a set of benchmark programs developed by DigiBoard Incorporated
- MTOOLS, allows UNIX systems to read, write, and manipulate files on an MSDOS file system
- Public Domain Aeronautical Software also here
- Crystallography programs
- MS Costar, provides functions for storing, retrieving, analyzing, and displaying demographic, clinical, and test data that accrue as patients are seen and cared over time in an MS clinic
- source code for Distributed Interactive Simulation
- Sinhala TeX Package, package of Metafont fonts and a preprocessor suitable for writing Sinhala script using TeX or LaTeX.
- Selena Sol's Public Domain Script Archive, CGI scripts
- Fredware, PD programs for DOS and Windows by Fred McLain
- Knight Software offers some PD programs for Windows and in Pascal
- Public Domain Software for Public Health Professionals
Art & Images
- PD icons
- VRML art, logos etc.
- Anti-Netscape logos
- NASA Dryden Aircraft Photo Archive
- Background Images Archive
- Horizontal Rules for HTML Documents
- The Background Sampler, Netscape backgrounds
- Saberspace, really nice backgrounds and rules for Web pages
- Post Office icons, PD icons intended for use with a shareware program called Post Office
- Timothy P. O'Neill's Web page
- Welcome to Hawaii, everything on this host available via WWW is in the PD
- AngelDreams, clip art of angels
- Astronomy images from JPL
- Portfolio: Chris Fearnley, computer-generated polyhedra
- Tony's Icons, mostly 64x64. Some .GIF, some .XBM
- George's Wedpage, wedding-related clip art
- PsychArt, A Public Domain Library of Famous Psychologists
- Astronomy Images Database
- Physics animations/movies database
- GIF Images, lines, arrows, dots, icons, stars and punctuations
- Randy's Icon and Image Bazaar, a huge collection of GIF-format images, organized neatly
- VirtuaLibrary, GIF89a images
- GIF89a Animations
- Paul Marquis' backgrounds, bars and buttons
- Public Domain Images, a commercial service that finds PD visuals for your needs. Site includes many free JPEGs on various subjects.
- ArtToday, a commercial service with a searchable index of 300,000+ JPEG images, most in the PD.
- Archival Digital Imaging, creates CD-ROMS for librarians and collectors of US history. Sample B&W PD pictures at the Web site.
- Desert Island Films, for-fee distributor of broadcast quality PD entertainment programming: classic feature films, classic TV, etc.
Works produced by the U.S. Federal government are not copyrighted. See here for details and here for more details. Thus, most of the U.S. government information on the Internet is PD, even entire Web sites, including...
Most of these resources are not in the public domain
Other copyright/intellectual property resources
Most of these resources are not in the public domain
I have placed this page in the public domain.
Go to Kevin's home page